Friday, August 20, 2010

Ken: Magic the Gathering, breaking the planes of just "fad"

I'll start this out by simply saying that , no, I am not nor was NOR ever will be a hardcore Magic the Gathering player. I will however say that MtG has managed to surprise me in about every way without really shocking me!
How? Quite easy really, I want to play it again. See, the story here being I haven't actually played Magic in around 4 - 5 years... whether that's due to friends leaving, work, school ... the group I'd played with just stopped hanging out outside of like 2 - 3 of us and we never really played again. Besides...I can't ask Chi to play since he probably wouldn't give a shit if I offered to show him how to play by letting him borrow a deck of mine. Anyways, the other day I was going through stuff to get rid of...trying to make some room, maybe sell something...I dunno, and I spotted my Magic cards laying dormant on my dresser. The minute I opened up that box, a flood of awesome memories opened up about how my group of friends would play after school, Friday nights, hell even lunch time AT school. Sure, it was dorky, but why the fuck should I give a shit if I'm having fun?
Normally with an old fad , you'd look at it, remember the good times then just get ready to rid yourself of it. I, however, did not do that. I stopped any form of progress and looked through my old decks and my random assorted cards. Ok , I lied...I DID finish piling up the worthless shit, and the fad stuff...then immediately started looking through my collection.
I didn't understand it , but in no time I really started to get into it. I actually spotted inconsistencies in my favorite deck , even after organizing my collection I made a new deck! Exclamation point indeed! I normally wouldn't be so ecstatic about doing something normal players could do on an average basis, but that was just it. I was doing it and kinda having fun coming up with theories...and then it hit me why I enjoyed the game so much. Aside from hanging out with friends and such, it was the level of customization, the luck of the draw, and the rare moments of nuking the fuck out of someone to win that one time I won my first match xD..and almost more than that, it was the analytical skills in seeing what to do in the situation. Y'know, like a good Dungeons and Dragons sessions and so on and so forth.
I realized then thats why Magic hadn't really gone away, although I know why I was burned out on it for the 4 years I haven't touched it. It's like the minute you're a casual player in an mmo and going straight to hardcore raid content. The game starts being more of a 2nd job than just to go in to have a good time, which is such a shame that sometimes I even considered being a hardcore raider. The ladder half of playing Magic with my group we started to try and step up our game, even at one point talking about entering a tournament....which I know none of us would have won, even if we weren't all that bad of players. The fucking second we decided to take it to the next level, it stopped being any form of fun and we never really played together again.
Well this story does get slightly more intriguing when this morning I got on, and I got a message from my one friend from that group of pals who had JUST got a new deck of magic cards (He'd sold his cards before had left to go cross the country the year before hand). We talked about the good times, even talked about playing again over a webcam for lulz. The joy of playing the game hadn't really gone away at all and I just find it funny. The Pokemon card game was easily a fad...and the countless other fads (because I can't really off the top of my head remember most of the fads that came and went ) that have been and just then forgotten. I know that Magic has a stupid reputation for nerds, which I'd agree with because theyre some of the douchiest people I've ever heard talk. For whatever reason they feed people reasons to hate them....but the game itself I absolutely have a blast with, regardless of age.

No comments:

Post a Comment